Thursday, October 15, 2009

I like my Potato Brave

Spanish cuisine is known for loads of garlic and almonds, lemons and garlic, sherry and wine. But Spaniards do drink beer and occasionally cook with it. I mentioned to a Spanish friend that I'd made patatas bravas (literally "brave potatoes"), and he told me his wife added beer along with the vinegar. He said she used a dark Spanish beer I'd never heard of. In the past I've used a dark ale, but a recent recommendation on America's Test Kitchen led me to try O'Doul's amber. It was perfect.

Patatas Bravas

Makes 6 servings

1 1/2 pounds waxy potatoes such as red bliss, cut into 3/4-inch cubes

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and sliced

2 garlic cloves, chopped

1/4 cup dark beer

2 teaspoons red or white wine vinegar

Salt to taste

Boil potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and quarter.Thoroughly mix together red pepper, cumin and Spanish paprika, and sprinkle over potatoes.

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add potatoes and bell pepper, and brown the potatoes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add beer and cook until almost dry. Stir in vinegar, taking care to coat all potatoes. Add salt to taste and serve

1 comment:

  1. This sounds wonderous... I just hope our bootleg paprika is of the smoked spanish variety :0

    But either way, we'll have beers to drink too!

    ReplyDelete